- CATHEDRAL PARISH
- Welcome from the Rector
- Contact Us
- SVdP Campus
- Fall Festival
- Eucharistic Adoration
- Faith Formation
- Shared Mission
- NATIONAL SHRINE
- CATHEDRAL HERITAGE FOUNDATION
- TREASURE OF ART & HISTORY
Cathedral Choir School of Minnesota
Now accepting registrations for the 2012 school year!
Choir Schools of historically proven ability for high-quality musical training remain important for the renewed Roman Catholic liturgy. The Church’s rich legacy of musical education of children and youth extending back to the early medieval times needs to be rediscovered and promoted today. The musical and spiritual formation of the young is critically important to the life of the Church. Music education should be part of the overall curriculum of the religious education of children, especially at a time when state schools in much of the English-speaking word have significantly reduced artistic formation. These are the guiding values we follow:
- We are dedicated to a safe environment for all people.
- We are dedicated to the highest level of artistic expression.
- We are committed to the pursuit of excellence within a joyful, caring, and cooperative environment.
- We are committed to the development of the individual and community through the richness of cultural exchange, self-discovery, and team effort.
- We will contribute to society through financial accountability, artistic performance, education, and the development of responsible citizens.
The Cathedral Choir School is an after-school program organized into 3 levels. Placement at different levels and progression from one to the next is dependent on the Chorister’s level of musical and personal skill and maturity, and placement is made at the sole discretion of choir school staff. Boys and girls in the advanced choirs rehearse separately but also come together to sing for some liturgies and concerts. The levels are as follows:
Saint Anne Choristers: Kindergarten through 1st grade
K-1 rehearse on Wednesdays from 4:00 to 4:30pm in Assembly Room.
Saint Thomas Choristers: Second grade through 4th grade
2-4 rehearse Wednesdays from 4:45 to 5:15pm in Assembly Room.
Saint Cecilia (girls) and Saint Gregory (boys) Choristers: 5th grade through High School 5-12 rehearse Wednesdays from 4:00 to 5:15pm in the Choir Room.Choristers will sing at the wednesday 5:15pm mass following rehearsals.
Choristers do not need to be parishoners of the Cathedral to participate in the Choir School. Choristers are however expected to be to attend all wednesday rehearsals and masses, and to sing at select concerts and liturgies (typically once a month).
Parents with questions are encouraged to send inquiries via email.
Registration for the 2012 school year closes on September 3, 2012 (Labor Day)
Rehearsals begin Wednesday, September 5, 2012.